February 27, 2013

Application!!!

I'm rather wretched at adhering to essay topics.  Always I think I'm adhering, but often, at least in the eyes of normal people, I am not.  Here is the question on the "Common Application," sent out to University of San Francisco, Seattle Pacific University, and Westmont College.  St. Katherine's College has a different application.


Please provide a statement (appr. 250-500 words) that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve.


Here's my essay (!):


All I ever want to do is write.  I guess that’s not entirely true: I also love to read, scratch on my violin, talk with friends, walk aimlessly about some place I have never been or never veritably noticed.  Still, give me the option of spending an entire day with only a cappuccino and a pen, and I will be at my happiest.  
Then again, to write about the world, I must know a little something of it.  I must learn the way we were and the way we are and the way we are becoming.  I must learn what in the world is good and write of it.  I must learn what in the world is wrong and write to heal it.  I must learn to truly see, and hear, and touch the world.  I must learn to climb up--to reach out my hand, and grasp those reaching for mine so that we may climb up together.
My most obvious reason for transferring is to further my education.  I hope eventually to earn a master’s degree in English, and perhaps even a doctorate in English.  My mother taught English to junior high students and, even though I resisted it for years, I did inherit her need to share the wonder of stories made and stories to be made with anyone I meet.  When I begin an essay with a quotation, it is not because we are supposed to begin essays with quotations.  It is because my mind swirls with what I want to say and those who, having allowed me to commune with them in the great realm of ideas, have said it better than I ever could.  So, then, I do hope to follow my mother and become a teacher.
I hope to achieve immense learning at University.  But I do not mean for my learning to be solely in books, though I clearly am all too eager to immerse myself in the writings of yesterday and today and tomorrow.  I hope to learn about the people in the world from the people themselves.  I hope to learn about their needs and learn how to meet them.  I hope to learn where I fall short and learn how to be pulled up by another.  I hope to learn the problems which need solving and learn how to solve them.
All I want to do is write.  I want to write what I know.  I want to write my questions.  I want to write of friends.  I want to write of strangers.  I want to write that which springs from my own soul and that which I do not understand.  I want to write of the old, and of the new, and of that existing only in turning minds and low whispers.  I want step into the world with clear eyes and moving feet and open hands and bleeding pen.  This is why I want to attend University.

No comments:

Post a Comment