October 17, 2013

Sonnet

Hello!  I'm a loser blogger, right?  Yeah.  Sorry.  But I just wrote a sonnet for my British literature class
(sort of a student-commissioned assignment) and like how it came out.  Please let me know of any ways to make it better!  I would also advise you to check out the blog of Ariel Sheegog, my housemate and cool college friend.  It's at http://inaholeunderthehill.blogspot.com/.  Great blog title, right?  Anyway, I hope you enjoy the sonnet, and hopefully I'll have more to post before too long.


To See You Smile


You laugh sometimes and I cannot help but
Laugh alongside. Though ne’er have you shown tears,
Mere thoughts of your wet tears which must be cut
My soul--your weeping mine, and laugh my cheer.
Such eyes are yours, such eyes I see alone,
Bright without, dark within, such eyes which light
As if from desert to Neptune’s coast flown;
Or else darken, lost in the cold of night.
All do I chance for but a smile from you:
Sometime succeeding, sometime for naught my
Words gather great courage, your laugh to woo;
And through that laugh, even your heart to pry.   
    You love me not, my heart to yours futile--
    Yet, still, how I do love to see you smile.


2 comments:

  1. I like it. You can feel the speaker's longing to help their beloved and yet not always being able to do so. And thanks for the plug, though I'm also a lame blogger too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just don't do deadlines very well! And thank you.

    ReplyDelete